12.11.05

reflections of a soccer mom


My arms feel warm from the sun, my eyes water from the wind. As I try to keep an eye on Dylan and Liam and watch Caleb play soccer, I make lists: chores, groceries, and Christmas gifts. My mind races with thoughts of applications and bills to pay. Chloe is making mud pies in the distance. Parents behind me are comparing dentists and English teachers, and their conversation sounds rehearsed- like ones I’ve had hundreds of times at games just like this. Bees hover over trashcans filled with recyclable materials, and I try not to look. However, suddenly, I feel strangely content, like I am now awake. I can step back and see the picture, my life- our life- this life we have created. I feel calm for the moment. Chloe brings me her tooth and I put away my lists and watch the game.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

receptor tyrosine kinases activate the GTP-binding protein ras...,eh?Are you as excited as I am? cells divide 50 times and then die. you have dead cells. ha ha- your cells are DEAD.like elvis,baby.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh LuoeeeeLua come be my Soccer Mom.

I sent you a bribe.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so our the days of our lives...

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is incredible how many times one conversation can be repeated. I myself have been stuck in that repeating dialogue more than once. The saddest part of it is, I believe both parties feel they've escaped something when the conversation finally ends. Neither person really wanted to talk about crap for five minutes. Then again, maybe every time I get stuck in one of those talks, I'm the only one who is disinterested. That may be even more sad.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight on "SpanksGretchen" Dia's class for G & M. The illustrated guide Part one - implements

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home