11.12.05

green christmas


“Two more weeks!” my kids yell as they ran in our room and jumped in the bed to wake us up this morning. “Oh, and happy birthday, dad.” they added as an afterthought. Poor Mark, every year his birthday gets lost in the craziness known as Christmastime. People are always asking, “Are you ready?” as if anticipating a hurricane to blow through Oklahoma. Do I have a choice? It makes me feel as if I should do more, buy more, cook more, and have more to wrap. Is there a list to check off?
#1 Go caroling with the kids…Nope, I would scare people
#2 Buy more presents than you can afford… Yes, I DO have a list for that one
#3 Bake and decorate cookies…hmm. I think I’ll let my mom get that one
#4 Drive around and look at lights… and waste gas?
#5 Give to the needy… well, I took 2 angels off the tree- maybe I should add them to #2. #6 Wrap…tried that and Dylan unwrapped, so that one will have to wait.
Did I miss something? I can see how people feel stressed and overwhelmed at this time each year. I’ve always loved Christmas, but as we are trying to simplify our lives, it seems especially difficult this time of year. So, I am making a conscious effort to make this year about making memories: spending time together doing the things that need to be done, and enjoying it. I’ve decided that if it’s not fun, and we can live without it, it doesn’t get done. For example, I am going to take the kids shopping with me to buy the toys for the kids from the angel tree. So that’s it. It took me way to long to figure out that the holidays don’t have to be so complicated. Then again, I have always been a late bloomer.
G

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it's usually the simpliest of things that are the hardest to grasp. It takes a sledgehammer to get somethings down in my head. But, then I never forget them that way. Why do we have to make our lives so much more complicated? Interesting.

The family might be coming over for Christmas eve. I just wanna show off all my christmas decorations. Or should I say holiday decorations. hmmm...there's a funny debate. Another issue everyone is making much more complicated then need be.
Love you.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bang Bang Boom on Dia's head
My brother M-C is off his meds
Simplify it
Just you try it
No fads no diets.
Love - you can't buy it
That's all you need
(except a bag of feed )
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
and hope you don't have to replace a flat tire.

Show it off Point with pride
Angels ona tree Santa Homer on the side
But you and lua know what to do
(aside from preparing for the bird flu)
Open your hearts
Don't stint on sharing farts
Make little gifties avoid the Marts
Don't try to fill no shopping carts

Don't complicate
It's never too late
Love Love Love
and Love some more
spend very little at the christmas store.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are and will always be the Knight of all the perverts. Sir Spanksdia!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard Pryor
Set his hair on Fire
Freebassin
No...not a Free Mason

His wild ways
Stir crazy days
Gene Wilder
Blind and Deaf
Now he the man who is left

These old comics
We can't deny
Share the spoken word
no small fry

I say yes to the crimes
No to the wine
for Mark it be
Birthday time

Debatin
Relatin
no hatin
only participatin
shakin
quakin
boot knockin
rock em sock em
complicated myths
to that I say tisk tisk

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A tisket a taskey
They gonna fry
some guy
at s quentin tonight
Arnold get the first bite
He's so German and White

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home